User Experience Designer, UX Design
What to Expect
Tesla Design is looking for an outstanding User Experience Designer to design the future of order experience. The UX Designer will be responsible for researching, designing, innovating, and prototyping new user experiences that pave the way for the future of energy & vehicles in a way that has never been done before. Our digital experiences and the way consumers, businesses, and municipalities transition to EVs and sustainable energy will be transformative.
The Digital Experience Team focuses on the experience for global sales, ordering, delivery and checkout. The candidate will be responsible for internal enterprise tools that manage Tesla fleets and global ordering experiences. They will collaborate with sales teams, product owners, designers, engineers and global partners and will be a key contributor and originator in their own right. Deliverables include design mockups, experience flows, prototyping, design presentations, high-fidelity visuals, and follow up to ensure high-quality implementation.
Candidates should possess exceptional design skills, creative problem-solving, a great sense of aesthetics, as well as user-centered design principles. The applicant must have an affinity for minimal design, attention to the smallest of details, ability to optimize complex information architecture and to work with and simplify complex business rules. A strong ability to distill complex problems into simple, elegant solutions is key to success at Tesla. We are a fast-paced company with an entrepreneurial spirit, so the majority of the work will be focused on creating innovative, new experiences and concepts, as well as final deliverables and solutions that optimize existing experiences.
You will be working on the most advanced vehicle and energy solutions in existence both today and tomorrow.
What You’ll Do
- Research and define UX strategy for consumer segments and different customer types building upon and scaling Tesla OS
- Imagine, conceive of, manage, and drive ownership UX design projects from defining customer problems or opportunities to concept to implementation
- Develop creative and innovative design solutions for internal tools and mobile app experiences that support multiple types of users in different types of roles with varying scope and objectives
- Identify areas of opportunity and finds creative solutions that distinguish Tesla OS experiences from competition and position Tesla as the best sustainable energy company in the world
- Constantly measure how designs are performing for target customers. Iterate and improve those experiences as needed. Influences team roadmaps to include experience improvements when the design or product is not performing or needs improvement
- Invest in building relationships and trust with stakeholders, peers and working groups. Build a strong network across Tesla, globally
- Determine best UX solutions based on customer feedback and business goals and helps to determine overall direction, identifying challenges and adapting as needed based on the context of the solution and customer
- Foster the defining and sharing of UX design standards and guidelines and consistency across team members. Contribute to the Tesla Design System for Enterprise as time permits
- Set an example and create opportunities to foster collaborative cross-discipline dynamics. Drive UX team delivery excellence for enterprise design at Tesla, furthering internal and external UX and customer goals
What You’ll Bring
- Bachelors or master’s degree in the study of design including one of the following; Design, Web Design, Interaction Design, UI/UX Design, Service Design, Information Architecture, HCI, Human Factors, or a portfolio that shows equivalent project experience
- 3+ years work experience advocating for, creating and building and world-class experiences for mobile and web. Knowledge of global design best practices and working for international companies a plus
- An excellent portfolio showcasing UI/UX and visual design work with a strong design sensibility and articulate storytelling. Evidence of exceptional design ability is a must
- Excellent command of user experience, design principles, problem-framing skills, and beautiful visual design skills
- Must be proficient and highly skilled in Figma, Photoshop, Illustrator and other design tools
- Ability to perform in a fast paced, high stress iterative design process under minimal supervision
- Customer-focused, with experience using design research methods to uncover customer insights. Can take those insights and define the desired customer outcomes
- Ability to express ideas through prototyping
- Evidence of solving large scale problems for customers. Ability to take complex concepts and simplify them for the customer in the form or elegant experiences
- Self-motivated, able to work independently but also collaborative and driven by group critique. Proven track record as an expert in design who can collaborate well with other functions
- Experienced at facilitation and collaborative problem-solving techniques to drive team alignment on charter and goals, ideation, experimentation, innovation and great user experiences
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills. Strong ability to communicate design concept ideas through sketches, prototypes and wireframes. Experienced and comfortable with presenting work to executives and large groups. Strong ability to communicate complicated concepts and bring clarity to stakeholders and team members
- Understanding of front-end web and mobile technologies such as CSS/HTML and general understanding of back-end technologies that are required to build out experiences. Partnering well with engineering is a must
Compensation and Benefits
Along with competitive pay, as a full-time Tesla employee, you are eligible for the following benefits at day 1 of hire:
- Aetna PPO and HSA plans > 2 medical plan options with $0 payroll deduction
- Family-building, fertility, adoption and surrogacy benefits
- Dental (including orthodontic coverage) and vision plans, both have options with a $0 paycheck contribution
- Company Paid (Health Savings Account) HSA Contribution when enrolled in the High Deductible Aetna medical plan with HSA
- Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- LGBTQ+ care concierge services
- 401(k) with employer match, Employee Stock Purchase Plans, and other financial benefits
- Company paid Basic Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Sick and Vacation time (Flex time for salary positions), and Paid Holidays
- Back-up childcare and parenting support resources
- Voluntary benefits to include: critical illness, hospital indemnity, accident insurance, theft & legal services, and pet insurance
- Weight Loss and Tobacco Cessation Programs
- Tesla Babies program
- Commuter benefits
- Employee discounts and perks program
$88,000 – $300,000/annual salary + cash and stock awards + benefits
Pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment.
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact email@example.com for additional information or to request accommodations.
Privacy is a top priority for Tesla. We build it into our products and view it as an essential part of our business. To understand more about the data we collect and process as part of your application, please view our Tesla Talent Privacy Notice
Fremont, CA, USA
🙌 Share & Support
Please let know you found this position on DesignX Job Board as a way to support us so we can keep fostering this community.